Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What is the remedy for severe back pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
hello doc i am having severe back pain from today morning i could not go for jogging, nor to the office i am bed ridden the pain is severe please advise something
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do a hot fomentation and bed rest. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The acute severe pain in the back could be due to a muscle spasm, calcium deficiency, back injury or acute disc prolapse. The exact diagnosis needs a physical examination and a few investigations to find out the cause. The following measures will help with the pain for the time being • Lie on a hard bed with a firm mattress for a good back support. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights or bending forwards. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. You also need to consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants- chlorzoxazone or thiocolchicoside if the pain is persistent. Avoid any exercise in the time of pain. Back strengthening exercises and proper calcium supplements will help in decreasing the frequency of such pains. You can learn the exercises from a physiotherapist after the pain subsides. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor