Can oral gonorrhea be transmitted by touch?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: If someone would have oral gonorrhea, could they pass that to someone by touch. Like spit on a finger and touching someone? Sharing a drink? Changing a diaper and contacting the child? Or, as I have read elsewhere, is this in the back of the throat and these are not methods to spread it? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Methods you mention do not spread gonococcus.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

Gonorrhea is usually transmitted when bacteria gonococcus are present in body fluids. A person giving oral sex can get a gonorrhea infection of the throat if their partner has gonorrhea. But very very unlikely by other methods as you mentioned of daily household. So don't worry you will not spread it to by common household activities. Just be cautious during the intercourse with your spouse as you may transmit to him/her by oral sex. Avoid kissing any member of house.

Hope I answered your query.
If no clarifications then you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist