Can one be pregnant despite negative pregnancy test results and no symptoms of pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I have been having lighter and shorter periods for the last 4-5 months, though still regular without missing one. I have recently had a full hormone level test done as well as a urine test and all my results came back normal. I have taken two home pregnancy tests both negative. I have not been sexually active for the past 8 months. I have no symptoms of pregnancy. My doctor has ordered an ultrasound. Is there any possibility I could be pregnant in spite of the blood results? Would the pregnancy have shown up in my hormone blood tests? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy not there

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
If the urine pregnancy test is persistently negative, then there are no chances of pregnancy.
The pregnancy is confirmed only by beta hCG hormone, which is also tested in the urine pregnancy test.
So, if the test is negative, then there are absolutely no chances of pregnancy and it will definitely not show up in the ultrasound.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 13 minutes later
Hi Doctor. I don't think my doctor specifically tested for HcG urine and blood test but did a full blood check up as well as a FSH Test for my hormones. My home pregnancy tests have both been negative and I have not skipped a period, just much lighter and shorter. Would pregnancy show in a regular hormone test and FSH test?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Beta hCG only

Detailed Answer:
No, pregnancy shows only in beta hCG levels.
You can get a blood beta hCG levels done to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana