Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Can my mother be provided with parenteral nutrition at home?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1560 Questions
My 81 yr old mother is suffering with stomach cramps for two months she was on Carafate for a month and then switched to Lactulose for month since. A catscan was perform befor start of treatment. She has lost lot of energy and weight since she eats very little since on medication and strict tasteless diet and seriously need nutrition in body for function. My question is can a visiting Nurse come home in Moonachie N J 07074 and give her nutrition using I V equipment . Since her application for Medicare/Medicaid is being reviewed by government now how much this service can cost her out of pocket?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I am sorry to know about your mother's health condition. I personally feel that the taking food enterally (naturally through mouth) is best for anyone. Parenteral nutrition through IV equipment has its own set of complications. I will answer specific queries asked by you 1) can a visiting Nurse come home? A) Yes, a patient can be provided with parenteral nutrition at home. It is a part of hospice care. 2) how much this service can cost her out of pocket? A) Apart from setting up the equipment, the service can cost between 14$ to 25$ a day depending on the catheter use, other instruments, route of insertion, complications of parenteral nutrition, etc. This is just an estimation based on information provided in medical journals and you need to confirm with the local authorities. Hope it helps Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor