Can muscle relaxants prevent teeth grinding?
The symptoms are primarily in the right ear but occasionally in the left ear. They started about 3 ½ weeks ago and have been getting worse. My ENT did several tests and said this is a sensorineural not a conductive hearing loss issue. He described it as a nerve issue. He said my hearing is the same as a few years ago in the left ear, though it is significantly worse in the right ear. The left ear is sensitive to sounds and sometimes feels full even though the hearing is OK. The ENT prescribed Prednisone for 12 days.
My main question is, do I need a muscle relaxant to stop my teeth grinding? I’m pretty sure this is a stress response. I just bought a house, which was a very stressful decision, and I’ve also been having more caffeine than usual. I stopped the caffeine today though. I know teeth grinding can be due to sleep apnea but I am pretty sure I do not have any of the symptoms of sleep apnea.
Reducing stress can help.
Your teeth grinding problem seems to be more severe recently due to anxiety only. Yes, treating anxiety and stress can relieve to a pretty good level.
Muscle relaxant can help to some extent but not a lot. This is because muscle relaxant cannot treat anxiety.
You should consult a Psychotherapist and discuss. Cognitive behavioural therapy can help in improvement.
Also, you should start doing Meditation and deep breathing exercises. Doing yoga can be beneficial.
Eat light meals at night.
Can you please tell that how much is your body weight?
Do you grind your teeth in sleep or during the day when awake also?
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow the above mentioned instructions.
Your weight seems fine.
Follow the instructions as I advised you.
You will get better.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Honey Arora, Dentist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for radiating pain in jaw
- Suggest treatment for raised bumps on tongue
- What causes cramps and weakness post intake of Clindamycin and Oxycodone?
- Is Tylenol advisable for pain while on Ramipril and Atorvastatin?
- What causes gum sensitivity along with puffiness and sensitivity inside...
- What causes a painless patch inside the left cheek?
- What causes bleeding gums while brushing?
- What causes lower front teeth pain and bleeding gums while on Storvas?
- What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal?
- Suggest remedies for dental abscess