Can laxatives be taken during pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I took a bunch of laxatives last night and just found out I'm pregnant can this harm the pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laxatives wont harm pregnancy. Fibre and water content of diet will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1.First of all do not panic.

2.As you have just come to know that yu are pregnant, your worry is understandable.

3. If you have taken the "laxatives", you need not worry. As some of them absorb water and cause softening of the stool. Some of them lubricate the stool. None of them is absorbed in your body from the gut, hence will not be harmful.

It would have been better if you could have given its name in your query.

4. Sometimes, a group of medicines called as -Purgatives, can cause irritation to large bowel. But even then with small dose it also has no effect on very early pregnancy.

5. Please seek routine gynecologist consultation.
USG will help to find gestational age and viability.

Please be calm, cool.
Meditate regularly.
Think positive.
All things will be fine in due course of time.
start on Folic acid, vitamin B 12 supplements.
Hydrate yourself with daily water intake. Have more portions of fruits, salads and vegetables in diet. this will help to prevent constipation.

MAy God bless you with bundle of XXXXXXX

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.
Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 52 minutes later
I took ducolax and more than the recommended dose? Iv read that it can cause the uterus to contract is that true?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cramping of large uterus usually, use antispasmodics if needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

In my opinion it would be Dulcolax.
It causes propulsion of gut contents to relieve constipation.There can be some gut cramping.

It will not have contractile effect on uterus of very early pregnancy. usually well distended uterus after 7th month will have contractile effect.

Anyway, if you get cramp like pain use of mefenamic acid and dicyclomine will help. Both are safe for pregnancy. They are called as antispasmodics.
Please seek help of your treating physician for prescription, dose and frequency of the same.

As such Dulcolax acts only for 8 to 10 hours, so please do not worry.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 35 minutes later
Thank you, I just want to make sure I understand, my ute to is high enough not to be effected? One all stomach cramping is gone Im ok?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug effect must have finished, please do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there ,

as per your history , you just came to know that you are pregnant. I assume that it must be within first 3 months of pregnancy.

Also, if you have emptied your bowel and there is no cramping pain , the action of Dulcolax must have worn off.

So I want to assure you not to worry now.

Please take care. follow all drug doses as prescribed by your doctor.

I hope you are relaxed and relieved now.
Thanks .
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad