Can i continue using Mycoderm powder daily post bath?

Dermatologist
Question
I used to get itches around the neck area and it usually used to aggravate post my shaving every morning. I had tried various medication. Ever since I identified the problem to my athlete's foot, I have been taking good precaution with my personal hygiene. The condition has become better (infact I would say gone). I use Mycoderm powder daily post bath to sprinkle underarms, around the neck area, groin area, etc.
My question is can this powder be continued to be used on and around the neck and jaw area?
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be used in neck area

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you want to know if Mycoderm powder can be used in the neck area.

Mycoderm contains an antifungal which could be used in the neck and jaw area.

However, from your description, I do not feel that the cause of itching in your neck area which aggravates with shaving is due to a fungal infection. So, Mycoderm may not help this problem specifically. However, it can give you a soothing effect due to the presence of talc in it. Hence there is no contraindication to its use in those areas.

The itching in your neck area could be due to pseudofolliculitis, contact dermatitis to shaving cream or dry skin.
Pseudofolliculitis occurs due to ingrown hairs which irritate the opening of the hair follicles on the delicate facial skin. This is more common if you practice reverse shaving. You could benefit from using a cream containing a combination of 1% Fusidic acid and beclomethasone dipropionate after shaving.

Itching could also be due to an allergy to the shaving cream. If you have noticed that it began after changing to a new brand, try to stop it for a few days and see if it improves.

Apply a generous amount of a good moisturizing cream, preferably containing colloidal oatmeal ( like Aveeno brand) twice a day on the itchy areas.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko