Can i breast feed inspite of being on Dostinex?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I have just had a baby. On day 3 after baby wasn't latching I decided to take dostinex and exclusively formula feed. However I would like to try to feed baby breast milk on some feeds. It is now day 7 and I have expressed 50 mls in 30 minutes.

Given that I took dostinex 4 days ago, is this milk safe to give to baby?

Thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Soumya 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe breast milk

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Dostinex tablet contains a drug called cabergolin used to stop breast milk.

This will not affect quality of milk and you can safely feed to the baby.

I suggest you keep trying to latch the baby. Initially it is difficult but it will soon get used to it.

Meanwhile keep giving expressed milk as breast milk is best and there is no replacement for it.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D