Can herbal capsules cause interstitial cystitis?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I am taking an four herbal capsules a day for high cholestrol. It contains selenium, red yeast rice, phytosterol esters, inositol hexanicotinate, guggul extract, coq 10, policosanol and gelatin, rice flour magnesisium sterate and soy.

Can any of these cause chronic interstitial cytisis?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herbal medicine unlikely the trigger. Need management for cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. The herbal supplements and its ingredients are not enough to trigger and stimulate bladder epithelium that much to cause interstitial cystitis. Most of the cases of interstitial cystitis can not be sorted out for the cause. It mostly is infection .

You will need physiotherapy exercises for bladder pain, NSAIDs, TCA antidepressants, antihistamines and Pentosan ( Elmiron). Apart from it TENS therapy sacral nerve stimulation may also help. In rare cases surgical options like fulguration, resection or augmentation procedures of bladder are needed. Talk to your urologist and let them decide what is best for you.

Meanwhile modify diet. Avoid notorious "four Cs" —that include:
1)carbonated beverages,
2)caffeine in all forms (including chocolate),
3) citrus products and
4)food containing high concentrations of vitamin C.
Also consider avoiding similar foods, such as tomatoes, pickled foods, alcohol and spices. Artificial sweeteners may aggravate symptoms in some people.

Wear loose clothes, reduce stress and if you smoke, stop it.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan