Can gastric bypass surgery be repeated after two years?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had gastric bypass surgery done 2 years ago. I gained about 50 lbs back and never reached my goal. Can I have the surgery done again?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....given below
Detailed answer...
Thanks or the query.
Normally a gastric bypass surgery results in loosing around 70% of your excess weight and after this a regain of appox. 10% is again a normal phenomenon but to get a lot of weight back,as it happened in you,requires an evaluation by your doctor.
Reasons could be medical,psychological or lifestyle.
Although a second re- do can be done but is generally not resorted to because of associated complications like bleeding,infections,leaking intestine etc and also if the reasons for regained weight are your poor diet control and poor exercise habits.
I would advise you to consult your surgeon and get yourself evaluated.
If the reason is bad diet and poor exercises,then you have to change your lifestyle.
If the reason is medical,then he would be the best judge whether to re-do it or not.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T