Can a gastric bypass cause alcohol in the blood to increase?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question:

why does a person with gastic bypass get drunk faster than a person without the surgery. how does the body consume the alcohol( a comparison of before and after surgery). I am the mother of a daughter that has been having the problem
email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through explaination.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Gastric bypass surgery refers to aprocedure in which the stomach is divided into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower "remnant" pouch.So a large part of stomach is destroyed or is non functional. When alcohol enters the stomach of normal person, some of it is metabolized in the stomach by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in a process known as first pass gastric alcohol metabolism.Now after by pass surgery the volume of alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme decreases significantly hence level of alcohol in blood increases very quickly.Secondly when volume of stomach is more it can keep alcohol stored for a long time(most of alcohol is metabolised in intestine) and is released into intestine much slowly as compared to a patient with very small stomach.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T