Can a gastric bypass cause alcohol in the blood to increase?
why does a person with gastic bypass get drunk faster than a person without the surgery. how does the body consume the alcohol( a comparison of before and after surgery). I am the mother of a daughter that has been having the problem
Please go through explaination.
Thanks for query.
Gastric bypass surgery refers to aprocedure in which the stomach is divided into a small upper pouch and a much larger lower "remnant" pouch.So a large part of stomach is destroyed or is non functional. When alcohol enters the stomach of normal person, some of it is metabolized in the stomach by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in a process known as first pass gastric alcohol metabolism.Now after by pass surgery the volume of alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme decreases significantly hence level of alcohol in blood increases very quickly.Secondly when volume of stomach is more it can keep alcohol stored for a long time(most of alcohol is metabolised in intestine) and is released into intestine much slowly as compared to a patient with very small stomach.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Gastric bypass lisinopril issues
- Smokeless tobacco gastric bypass
- Swollen lips and gastric bypass
- Gastric bypass sticky teeth
- Smoking meth gastric bypass
- Gastric bypass and constipation
- Sciatic nerve pain causes gastric bypass
- Itching after gastric bypass
- Sickness after gastric bypass
- Can gastric bypass cause lymphoma
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses