Can diverticulitis cause stomachache and flatulence?
Fiber foods are your way out
The entire presentation including the abdominal pain, severe gas, diverticulitis as well as back pain seems to sum up to one single cause i.e. slowing down of the bowel movements as associated with constipation.
Our bowels have a forward propulsive movement which moves the food forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally eliminated as feces.
The key lies in regularization of the same. My suggestions would be to:
* Avoid long gaps between meals. Take small but frequent meals.
* Spicy food has to be avoided.
* It is very important to exercise regularly.
* High dietary fiber intake has to be ensured.
Plenty of green leafy vegetables are to be taken. Fiber supplements like psyllium husk can also be taken along.
This has to be taken daily at dinner irrespective of whether the problems are present.
* Please go through the following for a list of fiber rich foods:
Fiber rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fuit, avocado, blackberries, pomogranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does ephedrine causing diverticulitis
- What bacteria causes diverticulitis
- Causes of flatulence
- Can diverticulitis cause bloating?
- Can mold cause diverticulitis
- Mold spores cause diverticulitis
- Diverticulitis causes
- Smelly flatulence causes of flatulence
- Can clarithromycin cause diverticulitis?
- Can diverticulitis cause appendicitis