Can cyber knife be used to eradicate staphylococcus aureus?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have tried iv antibiotics and it still persists (biofilm?). I cannot have an operation...hip replacement too tight...surgeon said I would never walk again. Can I use the cyber knife to attack infection...staph aureus ( not mersa...).
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

No, cyber knife can not be used to eradicate the infection. This method is used for precise tumors destruction, does not work against bacteria.
The main problem with infected areas is that antibiotics sometimes have a problem to reach them. Especially if there is a pus in the infected area. Pus contains dead white blood cells and bacteria. There is no blood vessels inside so no antibiotic can reach them.
The best way is to surgically open infected part, clean it and drain. After such procedure, antibiotics can be used.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
I have an open would...right I pack with a narrow pice of sterile gauze. I took daptomyacin for 40 days and the amount of exude has decreased. The culture after 35 days showed a "rare growth"...what does that mean? There was only small amount and it took 5 days to appear. The exude is light watery brown.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Maybe the opening isnt wide enough. It is very important for such infected wound healing to have it open wide so the fluids and pus can freely come out. Instead of packing a gauze, you should try Octeniline solution or special bandages with silver like TenderWet. Generally you should be guided by a surgeon how to do that as it is not easy.
Rare growth means that there is not much bacteria in the collected material.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Will it stop draining after it is healed? What is light brown fluid...blood also comes out of wound
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, healed and clear wound should stop draining. Light brow fluid contains tissues fluid mixed with dead white blood cells, bacteria and other blood parts. Blood itself can be also present. This is how the wound clears up.

Regards.