question-icon

Can Colon Cancer Be Inherited From The Parent Diagnosed At An Elderly Stage?

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017
Question: My father developed colon cancer at 84. At that advanced age, is this still a risk factor for me?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy should be done every 4-5 years.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking the query.

Though he is diagnosed at an elderly age, yet there are chances that you have the same genes as him so definitely yes.

Generally, it is recommended that all individuals should have a colonoscopy every 5-10 years once you are 50 plus in age.

Yes, you are at risk...a bit higher than the normal person. Please don't panic it's just a bit higher that's it!

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist