Can breast cancer be detected through a mammogram ?
From the description it seems that you are very apprehensive about cancer.
A mammogram is an X-ray test of the breasts (mammary glands) used to screen for breast problems, such as a lump, and whether a lump is fluid-filled (a cyst) or a solid mass. It is very important to know that mammograms are very important to be done in any women above the age of 40 years.
For your information, In women less than 40 yrs – mammograms help to detect 12 % cases of breast cancer, not detected otherwise. while in women > 50 yrs – 30% of women are detected to have breast cancer.
Both mammogram and Breast self examination - are means to screen breast lumps, but both do have their limitations. Hence for routine screening, a combination of clinical examination and a mammogram is used.
Usually when manual examination of the breast is negative, the chances for a mammogram to show any abnormal results will be lesser.
But if breast examination, detects any lumps or masses, then a mammogram might show more specific findings.
Both clinical examination and mammogram when used alone have a tendency to miss breast lesions. Hence for a complete and effective screening of breast masses combination of both will be more effective.
Screening that included both a clinical exam and a mammogram was 95% effective at detecting breast cancer.
Screening using mammogram alone was 89% effective at detecting breast cancer. This indicates that though the breast examination in your case, did not detect any major lesions, that can be felt, 89% of smaller lesions that would have missed can be detected by a mammogram.
I hope the information provided above helps to clarify the importance of mammography in the screening of breast cancer.
I shall be available to answer any follow up questions, or any doubts that you might be having.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Breast cancer detection rate mammography
- Mammograms showing breast cancer
- Can breast cancer be detected through a mammogram
- Breast cancer to lung cancer
- Cancer treatment breast cancer
- Pre cancerous breast cancer
- Cancer drugs for breast cancer
- Early breast cancer symptoms mammogram
- Breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- Ultrasound detects breast cancer early
- Severe pneumonia,kidneys not functioning,cardiopulmonary arrest due to...
- Back,hip,knee,left leg pain
- Turp surgery,masturbated 5 days after surgery
- White dry lump on the penis. What is it?
- Rattled breathing,unable to clear throat,blocked,trouble...
- Strong throbbing feeling in middle of chest
- Dull pain below ribs, acid reflux, musculoskeletal pain, rib fracture
- Does very hot shower cause the breasts to get splotchy?
- What can be the cause for sweet smelling bowels during constipation in a...
- What is the reason for dropping BP with the pacemaker in the heart?