Can birth control pills trigger heartburn and gastritis?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can low dose Birth control pills such as Lolo cause or worsen LPR or other reflux conditions?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can increase laryngopharngeal reflux and esophagitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on this forum.
As per your query yes, the use of birth control pills can trigger heartburn gastritis reflux esophagitis and reflux larngitis symptoms.
They contain hormones which causes relaxation of esophageal sphincter causing symptoms of reflux.
Secondly, the hormones are processed through the liver which can result in thickened bile. This in turn can cause nausea, bloating and pressure.

Symptoms of indigestion caused by birth control hormones are a warning sign that your body is not handling the excess hormones well. If not addressed, you may be at increased risk for more serious side-effects such as blood clots, strokes and heart attacks.
Firstly
Use medications to decrease stomach acids. You may try over-the-counter Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec)once a day.
Apart from that consult your gynecologist for implanting intra uterine device.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy