Can belts tied around the stomach post-pregnancy reduce belly bulge?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: we have been blessed with baby girl on Nov-23rd and mode of delivery is c-section. they have removed the stiches on 8th day i.e. Nov-30. Most of elders are suggestion my wife to have a belt or clothr tied tightly or loosely around her stomach so that it will not grow. Having this is a good, please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Firstly heartiest congratulation,than about your query these belt or cloths are of no use except just to support abdominal wall .If you want to apply them than just take care of stitches line by anti septic dressing.The belt or cloth should not comes in direct contact with stitch line.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
we want to go for cloth+dressing. for dressign we need to clean atitches area with anti septic liquid and then paste the dressing pad?

Any special care during bath?

also mothers milk is less and decreasing day by day can my wife use any tablets to increase milk quantity?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
As the stitches have been removed extra dressing is needed only for 4-5 days. You can apply a moisturiser or a local antiseptic cream also in case the stitch line is dry.
Avoid putting too much water in the area during a bath. She can have a bath normally after a week.
She can have tablets and proper calcium supplements to increase the milk production.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Do you suggest any alternative to not to increase belly/stomach.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diet restriction and exercise.

Detailed Answer:
The only way to restrict the belly size is restricting the fat and sugar intake and regular abdominal muscle exercise. You need abdominal strengthening exercises to decrease the belly size. Regular breast feeding will also help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad