Can an intravenous iron treatment affect blood sugar levels?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
I am diabetic and received an intravenous iron treatment 1 week ago can this affect my blood sugar levels
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
To the best of my knowledge, there is no published medical literature that has categorically shown an adverse impact of intravenous iron treatment on blood glucose levels.
So one does not expect worsening of diabetes after such iron infusions. However, it is always recommended to regularly monitor blood glucose levels with a meter to watch out for any potential changes in diabetes control during such times

Follow-up: Can an intravenous iron treatment affect blood sugar levels? 22 minutes later
blood sugars have been going low last couple of days and I usually run a little high sometimes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I see.

Are you on any medication for diabetes? May I know the exact glucose readings that you have been having lately?

Follow-up: Can an intravenous iron treatment affect blood sugar levels? 1 hour later
I am on metformin 2pills twice a day and 75units of levemir at night, I have been 5.2 and 4.6 have been my lows but I usually am never lower than 7.2 or higher of course when I feel low and test I take something to get my sugar back up.

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Second follow up

Detailed Answer:
I have noted your reply.

Speak with your endocrinologist about how to adjust your medication doses in response to changes in blood glucose levels. This is very important to learn and failing to do so can have potentially fatal consequences.