• question-icon

Suggest an alternative to Levimir

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I have been taking levimir for six months and it is no longer working well. what insulin do you suggest i try next. i am seeing my doctor next week. thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need more information.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your question.

Levemir is a long acting insulin that has an onset of action of 1 hour and a mean duration of action of 20 hours after administration of a 0.4-unit/kg dose.

If once a day Levemir is no longer working well for you,than the solution can be changing the schedule to twice a day Levemir( morning and evening ) or once a day Lantus.

To decide the right treatement it is not easy.

I need more information about your actual diabetes situation(
-your blood sugar fasting and postprandial for the three meals of the day during last days,
-your actual insulin dosis and schedule.

Second question:What do you mean "lantus, bybureon, and levimir, plus glimberide two times a day metformin made you really sick."What's the problem???

Waiting your response .
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Elona Xhardo 25 minutes later
I take 50 units of levimir a.m.
I tried metformin and three up for 12 weeks until I quit taking it.
I tried Lantz before bybureon and now levimir. The bybureon did not work fasting b.s. are in the high 300's.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Change the schedule.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

If you have tried without success the alternative of metformin, Lantus and Budyreon(exenatide extended-release) and now with 50 UI levemir your numbers are still high,in my opinion you should change the schedule of insulin therapy.

If you were my patient i will propose you to try with three insulin injections /day.
(the schedule with two injections in my opinion is insufficient for you in this moment because your body needs more than 50 UI/day.)

I suggest to discuss with your treating doctor(next week) about the right schedule for you and let me know if you need more help about the best insulin schedule and dosis.
I will be happy to help.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for using HCM for your health queries.
Best regards.
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist