question-icon

Can an elederly be given yellow fever vaccine?

Posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014
Question: is it possible to give a 73 year old man or woman the yellow fever vaccine?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
evaluation before administration. Increased risk

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Yes it is possible but with extra precautions as the vaccine presents an increased risk of adverse reaction in adults aged 60 and older, with the risk increasing again with age. The reaction can produce multiple organ failure and should be evaluated carefully before being administered.

I hope this information helps you and answered your question. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Lohit K