• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe headaches, muscle weakness and dizziness

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have gotten bitten by a Mosquito tuesday night , didnt know it till yesterday morning, ido gett migraines off and on to begin with , but i felt really good tuesday until night fall , but thought i was just tired . the bite never swelled which i never did swell from bites, the bite is red , with a white ring around it. and i had gotten really super sick with severe headache which i still have today, stomach rolling yesterday ,dizziness and joint aches and muscle weakness , and was very disoriented , had to come home from trying to take care of my boss yesterday , as he is a quadro.. what do i need to do ? still not feeling right at all . .
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible viral infection through Mosquito bite

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question.

From the symptoms you describe, it could be a virus that got you infected through the Mosquito bite and in this case, an appointment with a Physician/Infectious Disease specialist is needed as soon as you can, to rule out any infection.

Some of the viral infection that can be transmitted are: West Nile Virus, Dengue, yellow fever ...your doctor will have a closer look at the bite site, perform a physical examination, ask some more questions about the place (hills/city/village) where the Mosquito bit you and run some clinical serological investigations to find out the pathogen.

Meanwhile, drink plenty of water, staying hydrated, as it's very important and take ample rest.

Hope you find my answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 46 hours later
I tried to get my Doctors office to do something about this , and this is what they said .. they dnt believe that it is the West Nile virus , But They said that it is Viral.. and if i feel the need to , That I should go to the ER , Or to Urgent Care .. Now this Was mY doctors office Phone call back to me of what they told me.. Really ? I looked it up On WebMD, because like i said i was fine all of Tuesday until around 10 Pm i started to feel ill with Headache and Back Hurting , Joint Hurting etc. Then I found that on my lower left leg the next morning , and as the day went on I got sicker from it. diarrea . stomach rolling , Migraine Headache, Fatigue. Muscle aches , and Joint aches , No Fever , Just Hot Flashes but thats Menopausal . and no Rash. 3 weeks prior i did have a Viral Infection of some flu strain That hit a lot of people here, but i was good up till tuesday night ..so Far Im Getting Better , I couldnt even Get Them to do Blood work to test for it.. I still have stiff neck , and very achy all over . my joints last night hurt so bad that i couldnt stand it.. today . i feel a little better but still not feeling right .. i been doing plenty of fluids and rest .. But Thank You anyways .. Greatly Appreciated .. I know that there isnt a cure for west nile , but i know that what it had to be .. because i was fine until i got bit..then it knocked me down..
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
Thank you for the follow-up and all the information that you gave to me.
I'm sorry to hear about this.

I agree with them, it is likely to be a viral infection that could be transmitted by Mosquito bite and could be other viruses than West Nile if the doctor did rule out it(he/she think you don't have it).

Anyway, the treatment is always symptomatic despite what kind of virus it is- hydration, oral painkillers, rest.

I would advise to keep drinking plenty of water, take some ORS (oral rehydration, in the drug store near you ) to substitute the electrolytes you loose with diarrhea.

-Take NSAID like Ibuprofen-200mg every 8 hours or Tylenol 500mg every 6-8 hours after some food.

-Take Rest.
You should go to the hospital to take some I.V. infusion if your diarrhea persists in the following days or if you have fever, confusion, dizziness, fainting, dry mouth, decreased urination, that are the sign of severe dehydration.

Wish you a quick recovery
Take Care

Dr. Rudina Balliu