• question-icon

Can alcohol consumption before LFT test effect the results?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

I am 34 years, 180 cms hieght, 84 Kg weight. I excercise (jogging/play badminton) 5 days a week. I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a week. I did a LFT ( a month back) and the counts were beyond the safe limit. Since i had taken a beer the day before the test, I did the test again after 3 days (without taking alcohol). The counts came to normal. For some days I felt a pain the liver area and now it gone. I drink almost daily 2 pegs. Now I have stopped drinking alcohol and have started Liv-52. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get ultrasound abdomen and fibroscan

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in hcm.

Increase LFT suggest inflammation of liver cells and damage to them. From your description it is due to alcohol intake.

Pain in the liver area is due to enlargement of liver leading to streching of the capsule.

So as a whole pain in liver is due to alcohol intake. To confirm what is happening in liver do LFT regularly, get an ultrasound abdomen which may find that liver is fatty and may be a Fibroscan to see the fibrosis

Avoid alcohol intake, continue with exercise, take analgesic for pain containing tramadol.
Meanwhile also take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300mg twice a day and capsule vitamin e.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Wish you a good health.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor !! I had uploaded the reports too. Did you get a chance to have a look at it? Any suggestions on that ?
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
quit alcohol and take less fat Iin diet.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

I have gone through the reports

There is mild increase in sgpt which is due to alcohol intake. To bring that to normal you have to quit alcohol. There is mild increase in cholesterol also for which just decrease fat intake in your diet

Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist