Can a sinus infection trigger a sharp pain on the lower left side of the rib?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi have a sharp pain in my left side below my ribs. I've had a sinus infection and now is settling in my chest for the last week or so. I've had loose bowels and some intestinal cramping yesterday and this morning. But the pain in my side is really bad.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will need chest Xray and antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be a sign of lower respiratory tract infection as pain can be triggered by that. Having a chest X-ray is a must as some atypical pneumonias may present with both gastric and respiratory symptoms.

A baseline blood work up for infections like complete blood counts and ESR is better to start with. You may need antibiotics like azithromycin. Another possibility of stomach pain still exists which can be triggered with medications like aspirin and neproxen.

Using antacids like omperazole can be helpful. Meanwhile antispasmodic like drotavarine can help with cramps. Soft diets and fluids should be continued however oral rehydration salts according to preparations should also be added.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope to this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D