Can a person with MTHFR mutation donate a kidney?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: i have been diagnosed with mthfr and factor five, my mother needs a kidney. what are the risks for me and her?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risks enumerated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I hope that you are talking about C677T MTHFR mutation and factor V Leiden mutation. I infer that you are talking about donating a kidney to your mother. The main thing that concerns us in case of a kidney transplant is the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) and human leukocyte antigen (HLA) match. Since this is a case of mother and offspring, there is already a 50% match in the gene pool and so a graft rejection is less likely. Your having C677T MTHFR mutation and factor V Leiden mutation would not complicate the matter provided that your kidney(s) are in otherwise good health.

Kidney donation involves major surgery, and there are risks, including bleeding and infection for both you and your mother. You would need a period of time for recovery. With time, your remaining kidney will enlarge as it takes on additional blood flow and filtration of wastes. Hopefully things would be fine. Your mother bears the additional risks like the possibilities of failure of the donated kidney, rejection of the donated kidney or the side effects of anti-rejection medication.

Let me know if you want to know anything specific and I will guide you further.