Can a hiatal hernia cause shortness of breath?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have painful bulges one the size of a small orange 2 bulges on right side 1 on left that i have to contort my body to push in, i was told the cat scan came back normal, that my abdominal walls are weakened, I asked what about the pain? and these bulges? He had no ans for me. He did not show me the cat scan but I am at a high risk for surgery, only 20 percent lung function, I feel he does not want to do any surgery on me since i am at a high risk, but he said there were no tears showing, yet i get these large bulges i have to push in. Can you give me advice?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Second opinion of Anesthetist and Surgeon at Hernia center.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/62 - 20 percent lung function - on 24/7 Oxygen - bulges that need to be pushed in - but come back - pain - CAT scan said to be normal - Doctor had no answer for the pain, bulges, CAT scan - you feel that he does not want to do any surgery due to high risk - wants advise...

As per the history you have provided, the bulges appearing and to be pushed in - pain - recur is classical of herniation. CT scan may not show everything.
Pain is an indication for surgery but has to be weighed against the risk to the life during and in post operative period.
20 percent lung function and need to have oxygen 24/7 indicates very high risk.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Discuss with the Nurse/Doctor about having a corset/belt specifically designed to your needs to be applied to the abdomen to avoid the bulges/hernia to come out.
Take a second opinion of the Surgeons at hernia center if hernia center is available in your city, its anesthetist's check up and evaluation to consider whether they are ready to operate you under epidural or local anesthesia.
The cause is obviously the respiratory problem that you have, which I feel is not curable; to see whether the Pulmonologist can do something to improve your respiratory condition.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.