Can Vitamin D be taken to normalize serum levels of calcium?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Will Vitamin D correct slightly elevated serum calcium?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
would cause an increase

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vitamin d helps to increase the absorption of calcium from the intestines.

Because it helps calcium to be absorbed, it would cause an increase not decrease in calcium levels.

Low vitamin d levels are associated with low levels of calcium

If you increase your vitamin D intake then you would likely have higher levels of calcium not lower.

Summary: (1) vitamin d helps the body absorb calcium from the gut
(2)it would cause an increase not decrease in calcium levels

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
I thought that if the serum calcium is high, it is not being absorbed by the bones.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be related to a hormone called parathyroid hormone

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Calcium levels are maintained mainly by 2 hormones (though there is 1 more as well).

The 2 hormones are vitamin d (a type of hormone) and parathyroid hormone.

Parathyroid hormone acts at the level of the kidneys (prevents calcium loss) and bones (causes bones to release calcium)

Increased calcium is called hypercalcemia.

When levels are high, normally the level of parathyroid hormone needs to be assessed to see if it is within normal range.
IF this is normal, then another cause needs to be found

Please feel free to ask anything else
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
vitamin d supplements for low vitamin d levels or low calcium levels

Detailed Answer:
HI

No, did not see note or results of blood or urine, you can attach them or write out the results if you wish.

The vitamin D would not cause the levels to decrease, so this is not an option to try and reduce your calcium before seeing anyone.

the initial query indicated that calcium was slightly increased, vitamin D would not help here.
It would help in low vitamin D levels if this is found, Vitamin D supplements would be a treatment option for low calcium or/and low vitamin D

Hope this clears this up but if you have further questions please let me know
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
One more comment. I wonder if the Welchol is causing Vit D levels to fall? I have been on Welchol for many years(3-5) I don't know when they have ever checked my Vit D before...Ever heard of this happening?

My doc just discontinued fenofibrate which I have been on for years because he said it has been discovered that fenofibrate does not work unless Trigylcerides are over 500. So I have been on Welchol alone - cholesterol and Triglycerides still moderately elevated. Probably this is not even relevant..

I give up on this - maybe now I can understand my nephrologist when I talk with him - he has been at a conference. Thanks you for your time. I wil close discussion next time I hear from you.
Brief Answer:
can actually cause increased triglycerides in some persons

Detailed Answer:
HI

Welchol is not known to affect vitamin D or calcium levels. This is not a reported side effect at the moment.

In terms of your increased triglycerides, it is interesting to note that increased triglycerides can actually occur as a side effect of this medication in some persons

Please feel free to ask any additional queries