What is the difference between Pantethine and Pantothenic acid?
Pantethine vs pantothenic acid
Pantethine is a product of pantothenic acid. So it is not the same chemical compound. Pantethine is produced when another substance (cysteamine) is added to pantothenic acid in a chemical reaction.
Pantothenic acid is what makes up Vitamin B5 (usually sold as calcium pantothenate).
In contrast, pantethine is sold as a dietary supplement for lowering blood cholesterol and triglycerides at doses of 500 to 1200 mg/day. It's effects on lowering these fats is only modest though. The research on whether it is useful for lowering cholesterol and triglycerides hasn't been consistent. It may be helpful in decreasing excessive fats in the blood in patients who require dialysis. It might also be beneficial in treating cystinosis which is an inherited disease.
Regarding detoxification, we don't have enough research on pantethine to claim that it can be used for detoxification of anything specific.
Pantethine should be used with caution with blood thinners or medications that slow blood clotting because it can slow blood clotting itself.
In some people, pantethine can cause some stomach upset (nausea, diarrhea, stomach discomfort), but it is mostly well tolerated.
I hope this answers your question.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pantothenic acid and erectile dysfunction
- Diagnosis of pantothenic acid deficiency
- Pantothenic acid weight loss
- Symptoms of pantothenic acid deficiency
- Pantothenic acid deficiency causes
- Pantothenic acid adrenal fatigue
- Pantothenic acid and cortisol
- Pantothenic acid and cancer
- Pantothenic acid dose for acne
- Pantothenic acid causes hair loss
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis