• question-icon

What is the difference between Pantethine and Pantothenic acid?

Posted on Mon, 22 May 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What is the difference between pantethine and pantothenic acid. What does it detoxify?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pantethine vs pantothenic acid

Detailed Answer:
Hello Bev,

Pantethine is a product of pantothenic acid. So it is not the same chemical compound. Pantethine is produced when another substance (cysteamine) is added to pantothenic acid in a chemical reaction.

Pantothenic acid is what makes up Vitamin B5 (usually sold as calcium pantothenate).

In contrast, pantethine is sold as a dietary supplement for lowering blood cholesterol and triglycerides at doses of 500 to 1200 mg/day. It's effects on lowering these fats is only modest though. The research on whether it is useful for lowering cholesterol and triglycerides hasn't been consistent. It may be helpful in decreasing excessive fats in the blood in patients who require dialysis. It might also be beneficial in treating cystinosis which is an inherited disease.

Regarding detoxification, we don't have enough research on pantethine to claim that it can be used for detoxification of anything specific.

Pantethine should be used with caution with blood thinners or medications that slow blood clotting because it can slow blood clotting itself.

In some people, pantethine can cause some stomach upset (nausea, diarrhea, stomach discomfort), but it is mostly well tolerated.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh