• question-icon

Suggest treatment for mild abdominal pain and headaches

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am writing this query to discuss about health issues my mother is facing. I am listing symptoms/ailments as:
Formation of Random Purple Spots on the Body (Dermatologist ruled out any skin issue)
Mild Abdominal Pain which is intermittent
Headaches.
Heaviness in Head while getting up from Bed

Also I am attaching Full Blood Test Report but there is no option to attach/uplaod. Kindly let me know how I can share same
Report Uploaded
Answered by Dr. Kampana 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maybe due to deranged liver enzyme and cholesterol.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the reports. Her cholesterol and Triglycerides is elevated and Vit D is deficient. ALP is high. TSH, Creatinine, uric acid and calcium are slightly raised.

Mostly the symptoms she is experiencing are due to deranged liver enzyme and cholesterol. I would suggest an USG abdomen, and start her on diet, exercise and repeat cholesterol after 3 months. Otherwise she will have to start on cholesterol lowering agents.

Vit D deficiency also can cause increase in Alkaline phosphatase. She can start on Dvion XXXXXXX 60,000 IU mixed with water once a week for 4 weeks. She can also go out in sun for half an hour between 11 am and 3 pm daily for vit D.

I would also like to know about her glucose levels and BP. Is she taking any other medications? It would be better if you could upload the picture of her rash for a better opinion. She can also get her Vit B12 levels checked as well.

I hope this answered your query. Kindly follow up with further queries if any.

Looking forward.

With regards,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 50 minutes later
Thanks for your quick response. My comments are as follow:
1. By USG Abdomen, you mean UltraSound G?
2. When it comes to Diet, she is already on a low-fat (unsaturated) diet and rarely eats outside. Can there be other factors contributing to High Cholestrol?
3. What can be solution for deranged Liver Enzymes?
4. Her Glucose Level is normal and you can check report where Fasting Sugar as well as Hb1ac levels are mentioned.
5. Vitamin B-12 Value is also mentioned on Page # 8. Please suggest
6. Her BP was normal as per past checks, however I can get that checked again.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vit D supplements and cholesterol lowering drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Saw vit B12 and RBS or average glucose levels are in normal range. So that is good.

USG means Ultrasonography of abdomen, we can rule out fatty liver or cholangitis( inflammation of bile ducts), bile duct obstruction or stones etc which can lead to deranged liver enzymes.

Other causes for high cholesterol can be due to age, reduced physical activity, family history, overweight, hypothyroidism etc.

To normalize liver enzymes we need to treat the underlying cause. So correcting vit D levels and cholesterol levels will get it back in normal range.

Yes, if possible you can get her BP checked again, and as cholesterol lowering drugs are prescription drugs you can meet your treating physician for the same.

I hope this answered your query. Kindly follow up with further questions if any.

With regards,
Dr. Kampana