Can Viagra and Lisinopril be taken together?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 58 year old male. 80 pounds overweight Have been prescribed and taking 100mg Atenolol and 40 mg Lipitor daily for years. Cholesterol is controlled. Same doctor also prescribed 50mg Viagara as needed. No previous heart problems or events.

Recently changed doctors in August 2017. New doctor has added Lisinopril-Hydrochlorthiazide 20-12.5 daily. Recent BP averages 135/80 past sixty days.

Can I continue to take the 50mg Viagara when needed with the Lisinopril/Hydro prescription safely?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that viagra cobtains Sildenafil which is vasodilator and it does have some effect in lowering blood pressure.

Sildenafil should never be taken with any sort of medicine that contains Nitrates like Sorbitrate. It's contraindicated as it can cause life threatening Hypotension.

Yes you can take sildenafil with Lisinopril when needed but you have to keep a slight watch on your blood pressure along that. If you feel alright and don't get any symptoms like giddiness or lightheadedness then it's all fine.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj