Can Valparin be continued after recovering from high fever of 106 temperature?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Dr ! August 25th my son fell down (skipped backside) after a minute he had a seizures for just 4-5 minutes. After that he'll normal, same day we took CT scan it's normal. Then EEG report its abnormal. Then 14th Sep he had severe fever 106 degree that time he had seizures . After that he's perfectly alright. Please suggest , we need to continue medicine for this , Valparin syrup daily day & night 2.5ml. Request your advice please.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue valparin as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
As EEG is abnormal this shows that there is some abnormal electrical discharges in brain.
If there is any precipitating factor we should treat that and anti seizure medication should be continued at least for next 2-3 years of seizure free period.
Seizure gets precipitated by fever, the same can be there in your case. Fever with seizure can be there in febrile seizure also and in that case anti seizure medication is not needed.
But here one previous episode of seizure was there and the EEG is also abnormal so we should continue the medication.
Valparin contains sodium valproate and is a good choice for seizure.
I would suggest you to follow the advice of your doctor and to continue the medication as prescribed.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
If i give Valparin syrup for next two years , its there any side affects.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effects are there, consult pediatrician accordingly

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Most of the anti seizure medications have their own side effects .Its not like that every child who is on the valparin will have side effects but yes the chances are there.
Most of the side effects are mild and revert back once the medication is discontinued.
But seizure is considered to be more serious than the side effects of medication and thus it must be continued without any discontinuation.
Valparin is considered to be safe after one year of age as by this time liver which is the main metabolising organ gets matured.
Most common side effect is deranged liver enzymes and can be manifested as vomiting, pain abdomen, jaundice etc. It is better to get level of liver enzymes done and if possible the drug level(serum valproate level)every three months interval for early detection.
So in summary don't get overly worried about the side effects, given medicine as advised and consult your pediatrician if you notice any problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj