Can Stalopam Lite cause drowsiness?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: hi i am asked to take stalopalm lite for 10 days and then switch to normal stalopalm .when i switch to normal stalopalm will i expereince in withdrawal symptoms as clonezepam is not an ingredient in stalopalm . Also i feel very very drowsy with stalopalm lite. i am not being able to go to office because of such drowsiness . will this settle down or should i discontinue stalopalm lite and take normal stalopalm 10 mg . how effective and good is the medicine stalopalm ?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can discontinue Stalopam Lite to avoid drowsiness.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. Stalopam lite has low dose of Clonazepam too in addition to Escitalopram. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and the drug should not be used regularly for more than 4 weeks unless strongly indicated. Drug use for more than 4 weeks can result in dependence and consequently acute withdrawal can be seen after use for more than 4 weeks.

So you will not have any significant withdrawal symptoms when you will change to Stalopam from Stalopam Lite. You are already feeling drowsy with Lite so changing to Stalopam plain will benefit you.

So you can discontinue Stalopam Lite and can take Stalopam 10 without any worries. No need to worry. Take the drugs as per your prescribed doses only.

Thanks, Take care. Hope this helps, please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 12 minutes later
Will stalopalm plain be as effective as stalopalm lite ? Also now I have lost my appetite with stalopalm lite and cannot eat at all. I was also irreregular with stalopalm lite . Will the drowsiness remain till I continue stalopalm lite ? How long will it take to show its effect ?

Thanks for answering my queries . My another worry is changing meds so often . Will it create any problem. I have bn on escitaprolam but diff meds like nexito rexipra cipralam . Nexito was not suiting me hence doc had given me rexipra fx . It suited me very well but since the drug was banned doc switched me to cipralex and spenzo . But I started to loose sleep in the nite and hence doc changed to stalopalm . Since a yr this is the 6 th change in medicine . Do such change in frequent medicines affect my mental health and decrease immunity to treatment ?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take the drug regularly.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for a follow up query.

Yes Stalopam plain will be as effective as Stalopam lite in reducing your symptoms. Escitalopram is an anti anxiety and anti depressant drug.

You should use the Stalopam Lite regularly. The drug causes changes in receptor levels and thus help in depressive symptoms. Taking drug irregularly will not help in anything but will increase resistance to treatment.

Day time drowsiness is occurring most likely due to clonazepam. Discontinuing Stalopam lite will help to improve your symptoms. The drug usually shows its effects in about 4-6 weeks of starting the treatment.

Thanks, If you have more to ask please ask again.

Brief Answer:
Avoid changing medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You have changed brands and not medicines. Though it's advised to not to change brands often but changing brands don't cause any effects on health. So no need to worry. This will not reduce your immunity.

Thanks