• question-icon

Can Sertraline cause loss of appetite?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Can sertraline cause loss Of appetite ? Is this temporal and aproximitly how long does it last ?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is often temporary

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Sertraline is known to cause loss of appetite as side effect although at the same time it can cause increase in appetite for some other individuals. I mean to say that appetite disturbance is known side effect of sertraline.

However it is often temporary and most patients report no appetite loss after few weeks of treatment. In fact few of the patients report appetite loss as side effect only for one week or less.

The above statement does not mean that everyone reacts in similar manner and some of the patients may require appetite stimulants for increasing appetite while getting treated with sertraline although such examples are rare.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist