Can STD be transmitted through unprotected sex?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Okay don't tell me it's an std cause I don't want to stress anymore. Just want a a opinion if it could be something else. I had unprotected sex last week and it was a unfailthful moment. I have been full of anxiety and stress and I'm not eating or sleeping. I have a slight feeling in my penis I think. I constantly think about my penis thinking I have something and my life is going to come down around me. Sometimes I feel like it's wet and i Check and its dry and everything looks normal. Sometimes I feel a little discomfort thinking that it don't feel right. But no pain no discharge no swelling or spots etc. It was around 9-10 days ago I had the unprotected sex. I went to doctor and I'm currently getting tested just waiting on results. I am so stressed just want to hear possibilities other then std.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible prostate infection or urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned about possible penile discharge. This could be also caused by a prostate infection or a urinary tract infection. These infections would be treat as if you had an STD and would be screened in your exam by your doctor. I would just wait until you get your test results and move forward from there.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 13 minutes later
Okay but in Your opinion if an std was present would it show more definate signs? The feeling i had started day one. Such extreme stress is it possible my mind is giving me false sympthoms. I have none of the usual signes i see online.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
STD is still a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately an STD is still a possibility. You may have only mild feeling of discharge but not actually get a noticeable discharge. If you get the STD check with the urine only it may actually miss the infection. The best way to test for an STD is for the urethral swap which is taking a small Qtip and inserting it into the urethra. It hurts but it will find infections that maybe missed on the urine test.