Can STD be contracted through unprotected oral sex?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I had a recent unprotected oral exposure 8 days ago with another male, I performed on him for 5-10 minutes with no ejaculation. He stated that he was clean of all STDs, however 4 days later I noticed a slight tickle in my throat that has continued for 3 days. This has not gotten worse, but still remains in the back of my throat. What is the likelihood of an STD from a single oral exposure?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For now, monitor only!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

This could be possible caused by irritation form the semen. I will suggest that you go on and monitor a little longer. Should this get worse or persists beyond a week, then we would certainly advise that you get evaluated for a possible STD, most commonly Gonorrhea. It is possible to get STD from a single sex if the other partner is infected. The number of times certainly increases the risk but a single exposure is enough for an infection to be transmitted.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Thanks! What is the likelihood of an oral exposure to gonorrhea? If this person did have gonorrhea the likelihood that I would catch it?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no figure out there to respond to this!

Detailed Answer:

There are no thorough papers which address the likelihood of getting gonorrhea from a single intercourse. However, the chances with one are less than the chances with two, so, there are still some chances that you may be free compared to multiple episodes.

I wish you well.