Can Pseudoephedrine and Phenylephrine be taken after a gap of 2 days?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: hi

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
After a gap of 2 days you can safely take it

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Sir

Pseudo-ephedrine is a sympathomimetic drug and acts by stimulating the sympathetic nerve causing vasoconstriction and reduction of nasal congestion. Phenylephrine is alpha receptor agonist and also causes same effect.

You can start with the combination after a period of gap of couple of days. Long term use of Phenylephrine for more than a week is not advisable.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 8 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

I read that Pseudo-ephedrine has a half life of 5.5 hours, is that not accurate?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Half life is 6-8 hours

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms

The half life of Pseudoephedrine is 6-8 hours. It requires 4-5 half life times for the drug to be completely eliminated from body. So it requires 40 hours for Pseudo-ephedrine to be completely eliminated.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak