Can Prilosec cause kidney damage and low total conductivity in urinalysis?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have kidney pain, They did a urinalyis and the only thing abnormal was high or low Total Conductivity ? 1.010 What ever it was could be protein they said. The protein part of the test showed no protein in my urine. I still have pain and a upset stomach from time to time. Nerves are jittery also. I was on Prilosec for 5 or 6 years and that scares me because of there are all kind of warning online about kidney damage from taking Prilosec ! Should I ask for further tests and what kind ? thanks, Bob Quickel 61 year old male in good shape
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Normal no protein in urine.

Detailed Answer:

But it is normal to have no protein in the urine. However, the conductivity of low then this means that you might have deficient electrolytes.

It is important to note that Prilosec can cause a deficiency of sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. So I would recommend that you take a blood test to measure the levels of these electrolytes in the blood.

If the conductivity is high, this means there is an increased burden on the kidneys. This could be due to dehydration.

So make sure that you drink at least eight cups of water daily or it could mean that there are impaired renal functions owing to the side effects exerted by Prilosec on the kidneys.

So, I would recommend that you take a blood test to asses the renal functions including urea and creatinine.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 35 minutes later
Would if they find Urea or Creatine in my blood ? Is that bad damage or curable ? thank you ! Bob
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 23 hours later
Brief Answer:

Normal levels.

Detailed Answer:

Normally urea in blood ranges between 7-20 mg/dl, while blood creatinine level ranges between 0.6-1.1mg/dl.

If found high then this is an indication of impaired renal functions and it can be corrected by using medications that will require a prescription from your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T