Can Plan B pills cause bleeding?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi! I had my period Dec 25-28. I then had intercourse XXXXXXX 3rd and it was sort of getting close to my ovulation date, so I took plan b since we had been a little careless. I've taken it before with no side effects, but this time I am know bleeding again a week after taking the pill. It's like a full on period. Does this mean that I will be ovulating again? Or is it just a side effect? I like to keep track of my ovulation and does this screw it all up?
4 days ago in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Yes , I do not know how you have taken it before with no side effects.
Most women experience bleeding after taking the pill.
This does throw your ovulation , and your period, completely off course for a month or two.
Other than that, dont worry, this is a normal and expected side effects.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.