Can Ovex be taken for threadworm infection during pregnancy?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 20 weeks pregnant . I've caught threat worms from
My young daughter. I know guidelines are not to take meds and to use hygiene procedure... I can't cope with them
Anymore. Can I take ovex? It says toxic

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult gynaecologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Mebendazole (Ovex) is a antiparasitic drug and it is not recommended to take it during pregnancy. There is no strong evidence that it has some bad effects for baby development but also there is no evidence that it is completely safe. So you would not be first nor last who took it in pregnancy.
What I can say is that it should nto definitely be used during first 3 months of pregnancy LAter, it can be used if benefits are stronger than disadvantgaes and there is no another treatment but it should be discussed with your gynecologist.
Wish you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar