Can Mifegest kit be used during 9 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

My wife is 9 or 10 weeks pregnant and i wanted to know if i can use the mifegest kit.
The place where i am living in abortion is illegal so i cant even consult a doctor about it, can you please help me.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Mifegest kit can cause an abortion only till 7 weeks of pregnancy. It will not cause an abortion at 9 weeks. It is too late for your wife to take a kit now.
If you are planning for a termination of pregnancy then D&C- surgical abortion is the only way.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 days later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the reply.

To be honest we are not sure if it 8 or 9 weeks, its just an estimate but its been more than 8 weeks since her last cycle/month and we have not had any thing before it should be 2 week or mid of August when this must have taken place.

What is your suggestion will a ultrasound help to gauge the week.

Awaiting your reply.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
She needs an ultrasound scan to know the period of gestation. After that it can be ascertained whether medicines will help or not.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.