Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Can I use imiquimod to get rid of fordyce spots?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
can imiquimod be used to get rid of fordyce spots
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Fordyce spots are ectopic sebaceous gland occuring in both male and female on area such as scrotum, shaft of the penis or on the labia, and vermilion border of the lips of the face. They present as multiple small painless, raised, pale red, yellow-white or skin-colored 1-3mm in diameter bumps.

They are not associated with any medical disease and concern about them is solely cosmetic. Known treatment options include use of laser techniques and electro dessication both of which do not have a satisfactory effectiveness compared to the recently developed technique of micro-punch which is yet to be implemented in other areas.

Imiquimod is an immune response modifier and its sold on prescription. Its known to be used in treatment of actinic keratosis (AK) and certain types of skin cancer called superficial basal cell carcinoma but its use in treatment of fordyce spots has not been documented.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, please do not hesitate, i will be waiting to reply. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor