question-icon

Can I take half tablet of Paracetamol for fever along with the prescription of Levocetrazine and Prednisolone for a cough and cold by a chemist?

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018
Question: I have cough and cold. Chemist Prescribed me levocetrazine and prednisolone. However now I have slight fever too(100.1). Can I take another paracetamol like calpol? Levocetrazine has 325mg of paracetamol so another half tablet of calpol (250mg) is what I am thinking.

I am 43, male , 6 feet and 85 Kgs.

Pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Avoid Prednisolone.

Detailed Answer:

You seem to be suffering from Upper respiratory tract infection.
Prednisolone is a steroid and should be taken only under the guidance of a doctor and not a pharmacist.
Stop that with immediate effects.
Take Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily and Paracetamol whenever you get a fever.
If no relief in next 2 days please consult your doctor for appropriate antibiotics if required.
Do steam inhalation.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query please ask me.

Dr. Anshul Varshney,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney (30 minutes later)
Thanks I will do what you have advised. However, I have already taken two tablets of Prednisolone in last 17 hours after food. Hope that is okay.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney (36 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Best wishes.

Detailed Answer:
No problem, just avoid taking that in future. Also, please mention this to the chemist that s/he should not give steroids without any proper doctor prescription and consultation.

Dr. Anshul Varshney,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Anshul Varshney