Can Hsv-2 be contacted by skin to skin contact?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My sister who has Herpes 2 lives with our family. We asked our nurse if she could be contagious using the bathroom. She said "Just be careful about blood". So the question that I have is: If my sister touches our hand with hers and she has a sore on her hand, can we catch the virus from her blood? She scratches her bug bites all of the time. So if we have a cut on our hand, we can get this from her this way too or by coming in contact with her blood?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hsv does not penetrate intact skin

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. Kakkar(dermatologist and venereologist).

No. You cannot get Hsv -2 by skin to skin contact such as a hand shake. This is because the virus does not penetrate intact skin. The most common route of Hsv type 2 transmission is by sexual contact.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Dr. Kakkar,

But what if there is blood on her hand? What if there is a cut on our skin?
Can we catch this from her blood if it gets into a cut? Why did the nurse say "Just be careful with blood?" Is the blood contagious? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hsv is only through sexual contact

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No, the blood is not infectious. People with herpes can even donate blood. The only real risk is through sexual contact in adults.
Skin to skin contact on extra genital sites e.g on shoulder, trunk etc is more common in wrestlers (herpes gladiatorum), innoculation being facilitated by rubbing in the presence of active skin lesions of herpes simplex.