Can HIV be contracted through protected sex?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi..i am 25 years old male and i had vaginal intercourse with a call girl whose hiv status is unknown.we had sex for less than one minute with condom and i went to restroom and removed condom with my lefthand and immediately i started to wash my penis holding it with my lefthand.is there any chance for the vaginal secretions that was in the condom ll infect me since i used the same hand for washing penis after removal?i did not take post exposure prophylaxis.shall i take two weeks pcr test?please reply
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk of getting the infection.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had protected sex with a call girl of unknown status then first you have to confirm her HIV status and if she was positive than also the risk of getting the infection is very unlikely through the way you had asked for so no need to bother much about it.

You need not to take post exposure prophylaxis for this because exposure is very rare. As such no test is required but you can go for 2 weeks PCR test for your mental satisfaction. If still any doubt left feel free to ask me any time. Stay happy and healthy.

Thank You

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 29 minutes later
thank u very much sir
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

You are most welcome. If you need kind of help in future write to me directly and I am always here for you. Wishing you very happy and healthy life.

Thank You