• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through oral sex when there are no visible cuts or wounds?

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi

I had sex with one girl yesterday she did oral sex to me is there any risk of getting HIV ?
There was no visible cut or wound in her mouth .
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Minimal risk!

Detailed Answer:

There is minimal risk for HIV transmission with every unprotected sexual encounter. Always a risk each time you have sex with someone you don’t know well and the HIV status is not known. Another idea might be to consider using pre-exposure prophylaxis before these similar encounters. Ask your doctors about this product.

I wish you well. Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask for more questions and clarifications if you need to.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Small small cuts while brushing will cause hiv transmission while doing oral sex ??
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the person is HIV positive, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:

If the other sexual partner is infected, then it is possible for you to get infected. Like I mentioned earlier, having sex with strangers whose disease profile is unknown to you is very risky.

I wish you well. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Yesterday I met the girl and I checked her mouth , there was no wounds and cuts in her mouth should I worry about oral sex hiv infection? Please reply .
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very minimal!

Detailed Answer:

The risk is always present irrespective of our best efforts. In this case, it is actually minimal and you shouldn’t be too worried. It is more like than not to be safe.

Best wishes and stay well. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 minutes later
If there is no cuts and wounds in mouth there will not be any blood in mouth then how the risk will be minimal why cant it be zero and as far as I know saliva will kill hiv virus in mouth if any .
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Because there could be minor cuts not visible to the naked eyes!

Detailed Answer:

This is because there could be cuts not visible to the naked eye. Saliva doesn’t kill HIV virus either. In all, the risk is never ZERO in unprotected sexual intercourse with someone whose HIV status is not known to b negative.

Hope I have answered your query.

I wish you well.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah
Dr. Chobufo Ditah