Can HIV be contracted through deep kissing?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi , i am a male 36
1.) 21 yrs ago i kissed a girl ,it was a deep kiss,she is now married and have a 5 yr old kid(she is negative during her pregnancy) ,i never got tested for hiv ,i married 15 yrs ago and have a kid 12 yrs old , but i still feel i might have had hiv through that encounter 21 yrs ago no other sexual encounter other than that what are my chances can i have hiv?
2. in year 2010 i kissed a girl again she tested negative after 5 yrs at preoperative tests for surgeries.
3, recently i kissed a girl it wasnt deep kiss just little sucking on lips very little saliva 10-20 seconds i am scared to death again about hiv , can i get hiv through this incident
please note my only exposures are kissing nothing else .please help. am i going to be the first to contract hiv from kissing ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

There is absolutely no risk of HIV in your case as even deep kissing also carries zero risk for HIV and you had no other exposure then you need not to get scared at all because you are 100% safe and free from HIV. If still you have any doubt you can ask me any time and I am here to help you always.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 18 minutes later
forgot to mention the last kiss my toungue didnt entered the lips am i at risk

sir do i need to test is is possible that i would be having hiv from 20 yrs lying dormant ,is it anxiety or ocd its jst killing me . i see every person as if hes infected and despite them being negative i still fear my test will be possitive or may be false possitive . i cannot test due to fear and .some time i feel what if the first girl missed her her hiv test during pregnancy or what if she was false negative ,please let me know what to do in this case .i see couples kissing everyday still think werent they at risk .my ocd is going above roof and suicidal . plese suggest e hell
googling has made my life hell
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is just your anxiety nothing else.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The risk of getting HIV is absolutely zero in your case so you can go for HIV testing without any fear and the result will definitely come negative because it is not likely that infection remains dormant for 20 years. Calm down, allay your fear or anxiety and live your life normally.

Consider counselling services if still you are not able to settle down your mind with the help of any psychiatrist. As per my opinion you are 100% safe so don't get scared and forget about the past. For any further help from my side feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 33 minutes later
Thanks for your reply sir,feeling a bit better but my main concern is the third encounter jst a kiss n nothing else can it be potential risk as I dnt know the girls hiv status she was an old friend of mine . Kiss was not at all intense our tongues never met Just sucking on lips n all it wasn’t as u can discribe as deep kiss all the while she had a lips slightly open mat be very little saliva can I keep by fears aside and continue my life forgetting the event !
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes definitely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

Even the girl was HIV positive then also kissing is not considered as risky because human saliva can not transmit the HIV virus and it also contains an enzyme that inhibits the growth of HIV virus so be relaxed, forget about the episode and move ahead. Wishing you very happy and healthy life.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 24 minutes later
Thanx a lot Sir , as in between loads of misconceptions and facts n myths on the net dr like u come as a hope of light for ocd effected people like us with fear of a no risk exposure is ! Any ways thanx a lot again . Have a nice day

Sir one last question and then I’ll consider this chapter closed . Have u ever seen any case where after kissing any body got hiv /and or turned one after some time when the only exposure was kissing? - regards and thank you keep the good work
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have not seen any such case.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

I have never seen any such case where any one get HIV from kissing so just calm down, forget the past and close this chapter here. Stay healthy and happy forever.

Thank You