Can HIV be contracted through contact of wound in chlorine water?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I stepped on an earring at the bottom of a chlorinated pool it stuck in my foot I bled a little is there an hiv risk.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No HIV associated risk from the event

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. HIV is a fragile virus and will not be active in a chlorinated pool. It is destroyed within seconds in a pool containing chlorinated water.

2. There is no HIV associated risk from the above event.

3. Please take a tetanus shot and take care of the wound by applying an antiseptic cream.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 7 minutes later
Even if say it just fell off of someone, sorry I tend to get ocd some times
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The HIV virus is rapidly destroyed in chlorinated water

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. In case it fell off someone then by the time it reaches the pool floor, it will not have any HIV virus. Please do not panic. The HIV is destroyed in 10 seconds in chlorinated water.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek