• question-icon

Can HIV be contracted through a needle prick?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Can I get hiv from being stabbed with a dart during a dart game , I bled a little bit where puncture was
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry there is no risk to get HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
I have been through your question.

Please don't worry there is no risk to get HIV infection because the HIV cannot live outside the body just a few seconds.
The dart should be contaminated with too much infected blood and immediately have direct contact with your blood to exist a risk.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 4 hours later
Thank you . I was worried because I felt like a dart was same as a needle and I know people puncture themselves w those darts . It was bleeding and I freaked myself out thinking. I could have had something stabbed into bloodstream .

Are you saying has to be dripping with blood and then immediately stab me ?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry.There is no reason for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.
I am sorry for my late response.

Yes, there is no reason for concern because it needs that dart has to get out immediately from an infected person and should be dripping with too much blood and then immediately stab you.
In other cases there is no risk to get HIV infection because the HIV cannot live outside the body just a few seconds.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist