Can HIV be contracted by sharing straw?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear doctor,
Is it possible get infected HIV by sharing straw? I believe other has wrongly take my beverage for drink and I didn't realised. After that, I finished my drink. i have an ulcer in the mouth at that moments. In this circumstance, I am not sure any saliva or blood on the drinking straw and I drank them after. I can't persuade myself and thinking it's highly possible to get other blood or saliva with a HIV+.

I have study some information via online and its show me it's risk free for sharing straw despite got ulcer in mouth. But I don't know my risk. If it's got blood or saliva with HIV+ on the drinking straw, will I be infected?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The HIV is not transmitted through shared strow of other person don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

First of all, the possibility of getting HIV infection through the use of shared straw of other person is nil so don't worry at all as you are risk free.

Second, the survival of HIV virus outside the human body or in an open environment is very difficult and it will die within seconds or few minutes so be relaxed and move ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 34 minutes later
I understand that but I got ulcer in my mouth and it provide a risk for HIV enter, is it?

Another point I worry is, the straw is black color and I don't know there's any saliva or blood.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mouth ulcer is mostly due to some other reason not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The ulcer in the mouth is mostly due to some other reason not related to HIV for which you can take folic acid and consult your local physician to isolate the cause.

Second, you need not to bother whether there was blood in the straw or not because HIV virus can not survive in an open environment outside the body.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 hours later
Dear doctor,

Despite there's a mouth ulcer, I can't get infected from straw which was contaminated by HIV blood or HIV saliva, right?

And the risk is absolutely free, right?

Thanks doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are risk free.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The risk of transmission of HIV through infected saliva is very remote so don't worry. Be relaxed and move ahead in life as you are risk free.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina