Can Gabapentin be stopped abruptly?

General Surgeon
Question
I have been taking 1 gabapentin capsule 300mg daily for 6 months for pain. I would like to stop taking it. Can I stop immediately or would I need to gradually decrease. Would there be problems if I stop abruptly?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Pain Management

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to reduce the dosage slowly

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

I read your query and understand your concern .

Gabapentin needs to be reduced slowly so that body adjust and there won't be any withdrawal symptoms.

If you stop abruptly then you may get symptoms like anxiety, sweating, shaking of hands (tremors), increased heart rate, mental illness, confusion, etc.
I follow a gradual 10% reduction over 4 weeks duration in cases of gapapentin withdrawal. Therefore in your case if I were the treating doctor I would reduce dose by 30mg for 4 weeks and subsequently do the changes as per needs. I insist you to visit your treating doctor who will follow similar guidelines to withdraw the drug.

Hope I have been helpful .

Dr.Deepika Patil