• question-icon

Can Diphenhydramine be taken for insomnia?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have been experiencing a great deal of trouble going to sleep at night. It is not uncommon for me to stay awake for 2 or 3 hours before I sleep. Do you think that Diphenhydramine might help?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is good possibility

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

For mild insomnia Diphenhydramine is good option for induction of sleep and routinely used for this purpose. Having said this use of diphenhydramine is commonly used before trying more powerful sedatives and hypnotics.

I also like to communicate that try least possible dose and avoid popping more than one tablet per day atleast for the initial one week. In case there is inadequate resonse dose can be increased on need basis.

I hope this answers you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to ask any more questions , you can use the below mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist